Friday, March 21, 2008

yeehaw!

This past weekend we went on our Youth Mystery Destination trip. That's right, the kids signed up without knowing where we were going or what we were going to do. I wasn't sure if my doctor would let me go. But sure enough, at my last appointment she cleared me and we were off! (Accompanied with many prayers that Baby would stay put!)

We boarded a charter bus on a Thursday morning and took off towards Dallas, TX. We told the kids on the bus ride. We busted out the cowboy hats, and led a group sing-a-long of "All My Exes Live in Texas." Of course that was the only line we knew of the song, so we just belted it out over and over. We crammed tons of stuff into the three day trip. On Friday we took the kids to Six Flags. You must know that roller coasters are one of my favorite things in the whole world. But, being 8 months pregnant, riding them isn't exactly allowed. And there is no hiding this belly! So I was the designated stuff holder. I was able to walk around with a group of girls all day. I sat at the entrance of each ride surrounded by jackets, souvenir cups and Superman capes. I think the day served as a small taste of parenting. Someday soon, we'll go back to an amusement park and have to follow our own kids around, ride the rides they want to ride and hold mounds of their belongings. So really this trip was just a warm-up.

The entire trip was great. God was there, taking care of us the entire time. We didn't have one behavioral issue and no one got hurt. (Which with all the broom ball and laser tag was a huge blessing!) The kids stepped it up and really went out of their way to hang out with kids in the group who didn't run in their usual social circle. Dan and I were so proud of them! Not only did God take care of all the logistical and physical stuff, but He also showed up to the kids individually. At youth group the night after we got back, the kids gave testimonies of what He had done in their lives in just those few days. And once again, it was an incredibly humbling experience for Dan and me. We were flat out exhausted from ministering all weekend, but after hearing their stories, we needed to go face down and give Him some glory!

Here are some pics from the weekend:




No comments:

Post a Comment