Friday, June 20, 2008

weighing in at...

Well today's been...a little rough. We took Reese in for her two month check up. And thankfully, she is completely healthy. She was weighed and measured. And get this. When she was born she weighed 7lbs10oz. I was shocked when they told us because none of my mom's babies were nearly that big. (Dan weighed almost 10 pounds so it could have been a lot worse! Bless you Kristy!) Since then, she's been an eating machine. This was confirmed at today's appointment when the doctor told us she weighed...drum roll please...12 and a half pounds! She weighs more than 95% of babies her age!

Then came the tough part.

At the two month check up, babies get their first round of shots. I have been dreading it all week. Thank goodness Danny was there. He has been at seminary this week and didn't know if he would be back in time. My sweet friend Sarah was on call in case I needed her to be there to hold my hand. (And she would have too!) But he made it back.

I'll never forget the look on Reese's face. She was laying down on the table, looking at me and smiling. No clue as to what was about to happen. All of the sudden, her eyes got really big and she started screaming. The nurse did a great job and it was over pretty fast. Just not soon enough for this mama. The stinging sensation I had in fighting back tears had to have been the same pain my precious baby was feeling up and down her beautiful, Michelin, 95th percentile legs. Oh, I could cry right now just thinking about it. She was so strong. And she stopped crying within minutes. The doctor came back in to check on her, but I think he was ready to admit me. I tried to be strong, I really did. But as soon as we were in the car, I stopped fighting and the tears started flowing. Of course by that time, she was passed out in her car seat with a boo-hooing mother and three colorful band-aids as the only evidence of the ordeal.

I guess this is just a small taste of what's to come, huh?

3 comments:

  1. needles still make me cry too, but i don't think my mom cries anymore when i have to get shots. you're a great mother, rach.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, that's hard. I feel for you, Rachel. That first time we have to let someone hurt our baby, even for a good reason... it's tough.

    ReplyDelete