Monday, August 11, 2008

God Bless America

So did anyone catch the Olympics last night? If you didn't I'm sure you've heard about it by now. Personally, I love watching the Olympics. Nothing fans the flame of my competitive spirit like seeing an athlete donned in red, white and blue, dominate the enemy...er, I mean competitor.

It doesn't matter which event. I want to win everything. :)

(Do you like how I include myself when referring to the US Olympic teams? It's as if I am one of those talented few who have dedicated hundreds of hours to rigorous training. Ok, I admit to living vicariously through their success. But in all honesty, who wouldn't want to be a ripped, six-foot tall machine laying the smack down on other countries??)

Needless to say, when I heard the French swimmers were trash talking our 400 Free Relay team...ooo, I was miffed. This girl took it personally.

We hurried home after youth group, because I was not about to miss this. Especially since Michael Phelps is in the running for more gold medals than anyone in history. U-S-A, U-S-A.

I can't tell you how nervous I was watching. And the underwater cameras made it that more intense. I thought we were done with when our third leg touched the wall half a body length behind French team. My faith faltered.

But then, our anchor hit the water...and pulled off the greatest athletic comeback in history! Ok, so I don't know much about athletics. I know even less about comebacks. But I do know, when we touched the wall a split second before the French, I almost went hoarse doing a silent scream. (Baby was asleep). Dan and I locked hands, pumped fists and taunted those good for nothing trash talkers that had this whooping coming to them.

At that moment I burst with pride! And I'm not ashamed of my flair for the dramatic, nor of the fact that my face looked very similar to the real victors:



Chant with me now...U-S-A! U-S-A!!

No comments:

Post a Comment