Wednesday, November 4, 2009

one in a million

Monday night was the last night of women's fall Bible study. We went through Priscilla Shirer's study called One in a Million. It follows the Old Testament Israelites as they left Egypt, heading for the Promised Land and what happened to them on that journey. Of the two million original Jews who left Egypt, only two of them actually stepped foot in Canaan. Thus the one in a million statistic.

(I was talking to Debs about this study the other night and she said the title made her think of a song in Miss Congeniality. Remember? It's the song that's playing during the pageant opening when they're all dressed up like the Statue of Liberty and carrying around torches and cutouts of their states. Too funny!)

Back to Bible study. It's hard to know what to say about it, or to explain what it means to me. It comes out so trite. So trivial. So not what it is. So I'll show you this picture instead. At women's Bible study we watch the DVD lesson as a big group (I think there were about 60 of us this time around) and then we divide into small groups by age. Except for my big old Sponge Bob head nearly blocking Kim, I think we're pretty cute! Our Fearless Leader Carol is in the front row wearing the navy top.

This is my sixth Bible study with these women. (Please don't be impressed. This sinful heart needs all the Bible study it can get. I only tell you that to give you an idea of what we've been through together.) The group changes somewhat each time around. (We love new girls!) But Carol has been our leader since I arrived on the scene. I christened her Fearless Leader myself and if you knew what a handful our small group is, you'd know the title is dead on.

Very little small group time (if any) is spent on small talk. We get down to business. Partly because time is short. Mostly because we've realized we're all better off getting right to the tough stuff. The sin stuff. The God stuff. We laugh and cry. And laugh until we cry. Any pretenses are left at the door because when we acknowledge that none of us has it all together, it's a direct route to the only One who does. I'm telling you, any one of these girls could blackmail me for what I've divulged in small group. :)

I'm so thankful God's given me this group for this season of life. I respect each one of these women. They've encouraged me and challenged me. They've made me laugh until my sides nearly split.

Only two of the original Israelites entered the Promised Land together. Praise God 13 of us are entering ours. I wouldn't have wanted to get my feet sandy with anyone else.

"And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds. Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching."
Hebrews 10:24-25

No comments:

Post a Comment