Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Adventures in Disney (Animal Kingdom)

Our hotel shuttle was scheduled to leave for Animal Kingdom an hour later than the rest of the parks. I was bummed we weren't going to be there when the park opened, but was grateful for the extra hour of sleep. I got Big Girl ready while Dan packed our bag. We met the rest of the crew at the bus stop and headed off to see some animals.
When we walked into the park I was taken aback by how beautiful it was. I couldn't tell where the real landscape started and the fabricated began, but it really seemed like we were walking through the jungle. We went to get in line for the Finding Nemo show while the boys ran across the park to get fast passes to the Safari. The Nemo show was incredible. Actors sing and dance the entire show all while controlling puppets they carry around. It was one of my favorite things from the whole trip. After Nemo, we headed across the park towards the Safaris.
There was still time before our fast passes expired so we did bathroom break and lunch. Here the daddies are on duty. This picture also shows all our strollers.
We brought our own stroller, but the other two families rented theirs.
This is the double stroller you can rent from the park. I'll have to ask Kristine, but I think this was a good size for bigger kids.
My sister rented their double stroller from a company in Orlando that delivered it to our hotel and picked it up at the end of the week.
I think the Safaris are one of the main attractions of the park, and I can understand why. We rode on a truck that looked like an extended Jeep. You can see one of them in this picture. We sat in the front and had a great view.
Our driver had to stop our truck for about ten minutes because one of these was in the middle of the road. Up close, those long pointy things don't look any less sinister. It was a relief when the standoff was over and we went on our way.
Chica loved the giraffes. Just about every animal was close enough for her to see
After the safari, I took our group's tickets and walked across the park to get fast passes to Expedition Everest, a roller coaster in this mountain. While I was gone, the rest of the crew went on a nature trail. It had drizzled off and on throughout the morning. By this point it was noticeably wet. I met the family at a train (I can't remember what it's called) and we rode it to the wildlife reserve and back. When we returned, the sky opened up and let loose on us. One thing that makes Animal Kingdom different from the rest of the parks is that there's very little indoor space. When it's pouring rain, there aren't many places to go. Luckily a bird show was just beginning. We slipped inside the covered amphitheater and prayed for clear skies. The host said the show would be modified due to weather conditions. About ten minutes in, they called it off all together. The rain was relentless and there were so many puddles, we were soaked from head to toe. Waves of people filed out of the park. We decided to follow. Everest was on the way out and I totally would have ridden it regardless of the torrential downpour, but alas, it was closed. No Everest for us.
We waited at the for the shuttle so long, Chica ate about eight cookies and I had no guilt. Tired, soaking wet toddlers can eat whatever they want.

Despite the inclement weather, Animal Kingdom was great. What we did get to see of it, we loved and I hope to go back someday.
Coming up next, our second day of Magic Kingdom and something so exclusive it wasn't even mentioned in our tour guide book!

No comments:

Post a Comment