Sunday, March 15, 2009

becky and rachel's grand adventure part 2

Let see, where was I? Oh yes. After saying "So long!" to the Opryland Hotel, Becky and I checked into the Radisson. We ate at Applebee's and tried to rest in our room before heading to the church. We tried really hard. We read and re-read our event information. We watched our nails cure. Just as we were running out of things to distract us, Becky B said, "Why are we doing this to ourselves, we might as well just go now!" I seconded the motion and we were off. So what if we were two hours early? We'd browse the book store, buy a coffee, and hang out in the lobby.

All was going well with our master plan until we drove up to the church to a handful of women outside. We never saw that kink coming. I thought when the brochure said the doors opened at 5:30, it meant the doors to the sanctuary.

I was wrong. Did I mention it was 30 degrees outside?

In true Carmen the Garmin fashion, we recalculated our plan. After examining all the angles we decided to forge on. We had come this far. We hustled up to the doors to join the other certifiable women. And I thought to myself how unfortunate it would be for my toes to freeze off when they've never looked that good.

We passed the time by devising Operation Closest Seats We Can Get. It was safe to assume the other women were on a similar mission, so we made sure to speak softly and carry a big tote. The last may be first in heaven, but that is not the case at a Beth Moore conference. :) We were focused. We were ready. And we were not about to have spent the past 40 minutes in frigid weather in vain.

The doors swung open and we were off. Sweet volunteers handed out free scripture cards as we zipped by. Unfortunately, in the stampede of senoras, I got overlooked. I waited patiently to get my cards, and just as they were in my hand, another arm swooped down and snatched those cards right out of my fingers. I was robbed. I was robbed of my free scripture cards by a fellow pastor's wife. I staggered down the aisle in disbelief. Luckily Becky B, ever the veteran had nabbed two seats on the center aisle, seven rows from the front. The first three rows were reserved for Lifeway authors and special guests, so according to my calculations, it was as if we were sitting in the fourth row! Go Becky B!! She totally redeemed my scripture card altercation.

Here we are enjoying the fruit of our labor.


Here's a picture of the worship band. These pictures are kind of blurry because I didn't use the flash.


Look, I got my picture taken with Beth Moore! And it's true what they say, she is so much smaller in real life!


Here she was when she wasn't poising with moi.


A couple of times she came down the aisle and I could have touched her. But I didn't because:
1. That would have been weird.
2. She had this female body guard who seriously could have taken me.
3. Our seats were too good to have risked getting thrown out.
4. I've never been thrown out of anything.


In all seriousness, the weekend was something else. Lifeway (so graciously!) gave us tons of free stuff. The worship band was unreal. Beth brought the thunder.

And God did His thing. You could sense He was moving. Taking care of business. I learned so many things, but the story Beth told at the very end hit home for me.

Her neighbor, a young mother, was diagnosed with a deadly type of cancer. When she passed away, and the ambulance came to get her, her three year old son walked right up to a paramedic, tugged on her pant leg and asked, "Are you God?" The paramedic bent down, took the child's face in her hands and replied, "No, but I work for Him."

Whether we're pastors' wives, paramedics, secretaries or attorneys...we work for God. And that is the most noble calling of all.

"Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up. Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, especially to those who belong to the family of believers."
Galatians 6:9-10

2 comments:

  1. Oh girl! I found your link at the All Access blog. What a great weekend you had. I had so much fun too (but my toes aren't nearly as cute and pampered as yours!)!
    Wish I would have met you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rachel - you are HILARIOUS! I loved reading Part 2 of the awesome weekend! I can't believe someone snatched your scripture cards! Mine are on my nightstand right now! You are a doll and a great writer!
    Keep in touch,

    "Mrs.Jan."

    ReplyDelete