Monday, March 2, 2009

you can call me martha

Hello bloggers. It's not often I feel very "domestic" but today happens to be one of those days. In honor of this rare occasion I'm about to give you two of my go-to recipes. I can't take the credit for their awesomeness. I'm merely passing them on from those who so generously bestowed their greatness on me.

I have four requirements of a recipe:

1. It must be easy
2. It must be fast
3. It must be delicious
4. It must be easy

Did I mention it must be easy? (The recipe that is, not the cook!)

Herbed Corn
(from Taste of Home the New Potluck)

6 cups frozen corn
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup butter
1 Tablespoon minced fresh parsley
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon dill weed
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon Italian seasoning
1/8 teaspoon dried thyme (pronounced "time", unless you want to make a fool of yourself in front of the Kroger stock boy...hypothetically speaking of course)

In a large saucepan combine corn and water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer 4-6 minutes. Drain. Stir in remaining ingredients.

To save time I combine all the spices in a little jar while the corn is on the stove. Then I just dump them all in at the end. If you're really on top of things you could measure out the spices in a Tupperware container a day in advance. (For the record, I've never been so on top of things that I've done that. But isn't it a good idea?)

HOLD THE PHONES! Just now as I was typing, out of the corner of my eye I saw a little body scaling the stairs! How scary is that?!

Chocolate Pudding Pie
Jennifer Holferty-Gravina

1 graham cracker pie crust
1 box of instant chocolate pudding
Milk (however much you need to make the pudding)
Cool Whip

Make chocolate pudding. Pour pudding immediately into pie crust. Chill in fridge for 10 minutes. Put Cool Whip on top.

It's the fastest, easiest, most crowd pleasing dessert I've ever made. If you're feeling really bold get banana pudding instead of chocolate and line the crust with sliced bananas.

If you're too impatient you could throw the mashed up crust and the cool whip into the pudding bowl and eat the entire thing all by yourself...just make sure your husband's out of town and your baby isn't climbing the stairs unsupervised...hypothetically speaking of course.

Now, go forth and make delicious food!

And remember, here at the Hinton Home blog we're all about easy recipes not easy cooks.

:)

Oh, and one more thing. Reesie will be having her pie with the crust because she is now the proud owner of another tooth. Thus bringing her teeth total to two!!

2 comments: