Monday, May 4, 2009

I hope you're not eating

because this post might do a number on your appetite.

Do you know what this is?


It's a picture of my poor baby's back.


Last Monday, after her well baby visit, she broke out on her legs and her arms. I assumed it was a reaction to her immunizations so I dialed the after hours nurse. She told me to put cortizon cream on it.


At that point the rash covered parts of her arms and legs. She didn't scratch it, and it didn't spread. But it didn't go away either. Sunday morning she woke up and the rash stretched over her stomach and wrapped around her back. Even her ears were covered.


She wasn't too happy about it.


We kept her out of church nursery (for fear of getting the boot) and I took her to the doctor. Turns out my poor daughter has hand foot and mouth disease. Not to be confused with her mother's chronic illness, foot in mouth disease. The doctor must have sensed my impending emotional breakdown upon hearing the diagnosis of "disease" because she spent the next several minutes assuring me it was a very common condition.

And it could be much worse. She could have hoof and mouth disease, which is what I've almost called it in multiple conversations. Thanks to trusty WebMD I learned hoof and mouth disease only occurs in cattle, sheep and swine. Seriously, who needs a medical degree when you have the Internet?

You know what's ironic about the whole situation? She picked it up at her check up. She arrived at her well baby appointment, a well baby and left with a disease. I'm considering scheduling her 15 month check up with Dr. WebMD.

No comments:

Post a Comment