Thursday, August 20, 2009

and cue "sunrise, sunset"

Do you realize this is the second time this month I've referenced Fiddler on the Roof on our little blog? I can't help it. Musicals are my happy place. Not so for Daniel. According to him, just as the plot really gets going in a musical, they have to interrupt it and start singing. I've tried to explain how really, the music enhances the story line and takes the audience to a place where no dialogue could ever venture, but alas, it's all "blah, blah, blahdiddy, blah" to him.

*Sigh*

If you haven't seen Fiddler on the Roof, what the heck are you thinking?? Just kidding. I'll allow it if you promise to go rent it. Tonight. Until then, I'll fill you in. Tevye, a Jewish milkman, is the father of five daughters. (Which by the way is the exact number and gender Daniel wants in his offspring. Heaven help me.) The song "Sunrise, Sunset" takes place at Tevye's eldest daughter's wedding. As his firstborn exchanges vows, he ponders over her life. And yes, much to Daniel's vexation, Tevye sings his reflections.

Is this the little girl I carried, is this the little boy at play?
I don't remember growing older, when did they?

When did she get to be a beauty?
When did he get to be so tall?
Wasn't it yesterday when they were small?

Sunrise, sunset, sunrise, sunset
Swiftly flow the days.
Seedlings turn overnight to sunflowers
Blossoming even as they gaze.


Now that I'm a mom, this song makes me do the ugly cry. You know why? Because Tevye was on to something. And if you don't believe me, here's some proof:

Overnight my precious little seedling...


turned into a sunflower. A cantaloupe eating, neck supporting, sitting independently sunflower.


If I've bummed you out, I'm sorry. Just click right here, and you'll be good as new.

1 comment:

  1. That is one of my favorite movies! Steve just bought it for me recently because he couldn't find it anywhere to rent. And I finally talked him into watching it and he actually liked it. Well, appreciated it anyway. He thinks the same as Danny when it comes to musicals. Bummer. Oh well, that gives us an excuse to go to the Orpheum and let the guys watch the girls.

    ReplyDelete