Monday, August 24, 2009

garden party

This weekend we took Chica up to Memphis Botanical Gardens. They have a great children's exhibit that Chica loved. Since we went on a Friday, we pretty much had the place to ourselves.

Chica loves to go places and see new things. She's a girl on the go!

We came across a tunnel slide that was about two stories high. You know those kind that spiral? Chica eyeballed that slide and it was like a moth to a flame. I took her up to the top, not realizing how small the tunnel actually was. I'm somewhat claustrophobic and you know, adult sized, so the idea of riding down together became more and more unrealistic as we approached the opening.

By this time, she was flailing around, trying to worm her way out of my arms. I yelled at Dan to stand at the bottom. Glancing around to make sure no one was watching, we made the joint decision to send her down by herself. I looked at Chica and asked her if she was sure she wanted to go down. I haven't seen a nod like that since the time she ate shredded cheese straight out of the bag.

I took a deep breath, said a quick prayer about not appearing on the evening news and gave her a little push. Before I knew it she rounded the curve and was out of sight. I waited to hear Dan scoop her up and congratulate her on how big of a girl she was.

Nothing.

*Cricket, cricket*

"Did you get her??"

"No. Do you see her??"

"No!"

Our toddler was stuck. In a two story tunnel slide. Dang. I could see the headlines now. Just as I was writing the five o'clock lead- in in my head, Baby Girl came shooting out the slide, squealing in pure delight.

Daniel scooped her up and she spun around, pointing to the top for a second go around. Quickly I climbed down and we scurried off to the next exhibit. My heart couldn't take another trip down.

And neither could my record.

No comments:

Post a Comment